The next “Those Were The Days” depot program will be Saturday, August 5th at 10:00. David Krogh, instructor at Atlanta Bible College and former president of both the Church of God General Conference and the Oregon/Atlanta Bible college, now in McDonough, Georgia, will be presenting. The church of God on Oregon Trail Road is hosting the annual heritage and general conference of the Churches of God from August 1st through the 4th. David will present at the depot Saturday, August 5th about the establishment of the Church of God headquarters in Oregon in the early 1920s, the purchase of the Restitution Publishing Company building soon thereafter called the National Bible Institute, the Golden Rule Retirement Home, the greenhouse with large farm on Mix and Monroe Streets, the bible training school which became Oregon Bible College, the changes through the years and what has happened since the church headquarters and bible college were relocated to the Atlanta area in 1991 up to the present.
In the mid-1920s, the General Conference, operating under the business name of the National Bible Institution, had a flower and gift shop called the Golden Rule Flower & Gift Shop on Washington Street in the Sinnissippi Hotel. Pictured in 1925, left to right, are gift shop workers F. L. Austin, Esta Lansbery Starbuck, John Railton, and Melville Lyon.